RADIO MARIA UGANDA
Radio Maria Uganda is one of the many radios Maria stations around the world under an Umbrella of World Family of Radio Maria Association.
It was first established in Mbarara Archdiocese as a parish radio by Fr. Bashoborwa in 1996. However, later on, Fr. John Scalabarini began its extension program country wide and on 1st May 2001, Radio Maria
Uganda began to operate in Kampala archdiocese, at Mutungo- Luzira as Headquarters, with substations in Mbarara (105.4 FM), Mbale (101.8FM), Gulu (105.7 FM), and a booster station in Fort Portal (104.6 FM).
Our mission is to become a “Christian Voice” in the homes of all people, especially the marginalized and downcast ones, through its religious and human promotion programs. Radio Maria aims at bringing the Gospel of Christ, the Savior of the World, to all people, wherever they may be and in whatever state of human life. Hence, to have a deeper evangelization as demanded by the Church of the Third Millennium, (Duc in altum).
-the objectives of the station:
• To spread evangelical message through radio programs in line with the doctrine and pastoral needs of the local church.
• To awaken faith in Christ and call to conversion of our generation through prayer and catechetical instructions.
• To revive the spirit of prayer in the hearts of men and women and in the families.
• To promote human values that are necessary in achieving mutual love, respect of human dignity, tolerance and peaceful co-existence in the society.
• To provide a forum for the marginalized to express themselves.
• To respond to the Church’s call and commitment to use the typical mediums of our times to bring the Gospel of Christ to all people, (Vatican II, IM 2 & 13).
Our programs follow the structures created by the World Family of Radio Maria. Programs are designed to enable listeners to have daily opportunities to take part in the Church's life of prayer throughout the day
creating their own pattern of work, prayer, instructions and news. These include the Canonical Hours, the Eucharist, traditional Christian prayers and prayers for the intention of the listeners. It includes instruction in the faith which is clear and intelligible to the listeners and which allows time afterwards for listeners question and comments.
Over the years Radio Maria Uganda has undergone successful development extension. More substations in Nebbi (90.5 FM) and Hoima (90.7 FM) have been instituted. Booster stations; Masaka (94.0 FM), and Lira (91.2 FM) were instituted. There is a progressive project to install booster stations in Moroto and Kabale.
The station has also achieved success and popularity among the people of Uganda. Today it has been able to reach even the remote places in the country where the people had no concept about it.
However, as we still flourish, we are also facing some challenges; not all parts of the Country actually listen to this Radio and yet they badly need them. And in some areas, we are experiencing poor network
Since it is a non-profit organization, the need to improve on our performances at Radio Maria is somehow limited financially in order to meet the head costs.
God bless you,
Rev.Fr.Charles Lwanga Ssewava,
Radio Maria Uganda.